Monday, June 25, 2007

Exhausted.

Did a full day of reference at my FILL site today. This internship is super cool, but I was freaked out for the first half of the day. I had about a hour of training on the database, and then I went on desk with two other librarians to watch my back. Well, if Mondays are this crowded then I don't think I could take a Saturday just yet.

I helped a WWII vet today. He was 88 years old, and his doctor has just given him clearance to travel to see two of his best friends, one in Ca and one in NV. He said he was the veteran of two world wars, so I am guessing WWII and Korea? He was one of three brothers, and they all went into the Army and they all came back healthy and whole. All I could think was that doesn't happen anymore. I mean, I was happy for him, and he was clearly proud that he was still capable of doing what he wanted. He came up and asked for the Thomas Guide, and I showed him the routes, but then I pulled up Google Maps for the NV trip, and it was pretty amazing. He was like, "why would you need a thomas guide if you had this?" So I printed out a bunch of maps and highlighted the routes for him, and he was pretty happy. But in the back of my mind I was thinking of the Washington Post stories of Walter Reed hospital and just trying to keep a smile on my face. I hope those Google Maps get him where he wants to go.

I also saw Pan's Labyrinth last night. Sad but beautiful done.

No comments: