Thursday, March 22, 2007

thoughts that have been rolling around in my head

... got Saturday Night Hat from ILL yesterday. Only took a month, but I get to keep it until June, so I guess it all evens out. The asymetrically feather cloche blows me away, as does the little barrette beret. The fedora looks dead sexy. Dead sexy.

... working on the cookbooks at work has made me think about cookbooks in general. I wonder if it would be neat to put together a book called "Knits and Bits" with knitting patterns and recipes for what to eat/drink while knitting. Robin's mint chocolate espresso would top the list. I don't know though; I have seen recipes in other knitting books and thought, "how stupid" but I guess I should re-adjust my opinion... unless I'm stupid? Hmmm.

... I'm working on the report for my group project. We are using OCLC's Condentdm, but because it is too expensive to actually use the real version, we are using the web-based demo version which is clunky and horrible. We've been informed in class Condentdm is used by anyone who is anyone in the library world, but I have yet to be convinced.

... a couple of weeks ago a co-worked "dragged" me to A Mano Yarn center on Venice for their big yarn blow out sale, and I was "tricked" into buying some Southwest Trading Company Bamboo for the Green Tea sweater in the Spring IK. I swatched it, and then my work really ramped up, so my poor little swatch is calling out to me, "Measure me, measure me!"

... I have jury duty next week and the VERY FIRST THING on the dangerous item list are knitting needles. I guess I'll have to crochet if I'm called up.

... I've been eyeing knitpicks to see which new dyes I want to buy. I'm torn between going really sunny, like gold and burnt orange, or all moody with burgandy and purple. Free shipping doesn't kick in until you hit 45.00, so if anyone looking to buy something for knitpicks soon? We could do a combo deal.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. I like the "knits and bits" idea.

2. I have heard good things about ContentDM. Otis uses it for their digital image library and soes does FIT, I think. However, being the skeptical paranoid cynic about proprietary software that I am, I too have yet to be convinced.

3. Swatch therapy!!

4. I think there will be a knitpicks order or 3 soon. We have color cards here if you want to come by and look at them.

5. Sporks. Just because.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the Knits & Bits idea. LOVE IT! You need to do it. But I'm not sure you can give me credit for the chocolate mint espresso. I got the idea from Michael Chiarello, although he used weird herbs like Lemon Verbena, and he put them in regular coffee, not espresso. So have I changed it enough to make it original? :-)

I might want some knitpicks. If it'll get to you before you come over. Be careful with that knitpicks orange. I had to overdye some because it was practically neon, even though the picture looked nothing like neon.

Anonymous said...

No knitting needles? What the hell? Absurd. You've got my sympathy re: yarn-enablers...it's an epidemic at the library. Between yarn time and coffee time, and for the next week, cake time.....yeah, not much else is gonna happen. I've really been wanting some bamboo or soy yarn, so post pictures! That soy yarn can be made from the leftovers of the tofu-making process is about the Coolest Thing Ever. I made a Knitpicks order a couple weeks ago for more Vintage Knitting Stuff, so I must sadly decline the order-combining offer. You could always just buy more dye, and then not have to choose between colorways. :)