Monday, February 19, 2007

Yummy yummy alpaca

This is the alpaca I bought at Wildfiber. There is info on the new owner on their webpage too. Also, when I looked them up on Google.com they had a link to a review site where Wildfiber gets slaughtered regarding customer service.

*sigh* I have had horrible service in the past and I've also found great deals in the clearance section. Saturday, when I bought the alpaca I experienced a little good and bad. Overall, when people ask me about Wildfiber, I say that you should go once, just to see the great selection, but don't be surprised at the mark-up (hefty) and sometimes rude service.

That being said, I fell in love with this 100 percent Peruvian tweed alpaca from Henry's Attic. I've known about this manufacturer for a while, but they hardly ever keep any stock on their on-line site. I felt like the price was somewhat reasonable; I a little over 600 yards for 66.50 and I am currently swatching it up on 9 needles. (The other two huge balls are still in the bag.) Feel free to let me know if I got shafted on price though, since that will teach me a lesson about giving in to temptation.

Because of the texture I was thinking of doing something really simple. I've been starting sweaters off and on for about two years, but I've always lost interest and gone back to hats and scarfs (and mainly as gifts). But this fiber feels so good!

Oh, I also figured out what I am going to do about my dyed yarn; more on that later.

Back to swatching.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That alpaca looks just like the kind I used for my brown short-sleeved sweater I posted lately. It certainly was yummy! Almost more fun to work with than to wear.

Did it come tagless, or with a bare-bones tag that said something about it being from Peru? I remember there were other colors and I was just dying to get them all. Have fun with it!

Anonymous said...

OK, so if I could actually slow down and READ, I would have known that you put the manufacturer in there. Sorry.

It does look just like the kind I just used though. I have to wonder if Henry's Attic is taking the stuff without the tag and putting on their own. :-)