Sunday, February 18, 2007

Just some links for today

http://www.brooklyngeneral.com/classes.htm

This is one of the more reasonable prices I've seen for beginning knitting. 100 bucks for four 1.5 hour sessions. That is about six hours of instruction in class sizes limited to six. It seems like the material might be included too. That being said, I think knitting stores should offer free classes, with the caveat that you buy the materials in the store. That way if the person hates it, it isn't a huge waste of time, and if they really get into it, then they'll keep coming back to your store.

I took a four hour nap after church today. Feel a lot better; got up and made Cornish Game Hens with Garlic Aoli and brown rice and broccoli with red flakes. I will definitely do it again. Now that I know that my local public library lets you check out old magazines, I've been trying out more recipes from Gourmet magazine and Cook's.

I taught a co-worker how to knit awhile ago, and she asked me to go along to help her pick some yarn to help finish off her scarf. The story on her scarf is that she went to the Taos Sheep Festival a couple of years ago to support another co-worker's partner that entered the weaving contest. (Yes Robin, the dyeing teacher - he took second place). Anyway, while she was there she bought a hank of pretty orange/pink chunky handspun (you would have loved it Ivy). Anyway she only bought one skein....... so I helped her find some coordinating colors for some longish fringe. I'll take a picture once she adds it on.

Anyway, it took us six hours and four yarn stores to find the right colors. We met the new owner of Wildfiber and she was very nice. She just took over ownership about two weeks ago, and there are already some changes. She is stocking more organic/natural stuff, more than just the usual Blue Sky Alpacas and .... *sigh* that is where I fell of the wagon big time. I'll post pics tomorrow, (yay for holidays!) but let me just say I fell in love with some alpaca..... some yummy yummy alpaca.

Here is at least one pic:
This is a felted cupcake pincushion from

http://www.betzwhite.com/

and this is her blog: http://www.betzwhite.com/blog/betzblog.html

she takes wool sweaters, cuts and stitches them up, and then felts them. Very cute.

More tomorrow, promise.

No comments: