Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Books A Million

I just have too many books. I share three IKEA Billy shelves with Hubby, with the majority of their contents being my cookbooks, knitting books, fantasy/sci fi novels, non-fiction, YA fiction, and odds and ends. It has become a chore to shift and fit and squeeze all of my books into these shelves.

I have been playing with this idea of just giving away all but one shelf, and then just get all future books from the library. Could I actually stick to one shelf? When we first bought the shelves, we only assembled two, and then a year later had to assemble the third one to accomodate all of our stuff. Could I at least reduce by one?

I like the idea of getting the bulk of my books from the public library. After all, isn't that what the library is for? A repository of information? If I check out books that I like, it will keep the circulation up, and then there will always be copies available. That's right baby, working the stats!

*sigh* I just love books. (Can I get that on a t-shirt please?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of these days I'm going to take a picture of our books in our storage unit so that everyone I know who says they have too many books can feel less guilty. We have 5 bookcases in the storage unit, each about 6 feet tall and maybe 2 or 3 feet wide. Next to that we have a stack of books in boxes that takes up about 25 square feet of space. And of course we have all those books at home and I've started moving stacks of books into the back area of my shelves in order to fit more books in front. I just operate on the assumption that someday we won't live in a shoebox and we can have one whole room in our house dedicated to our books. I think about it all the time, though... Why do we need all these books? They're material items just like anything else. But not really. Because they're books.